Sunday, January 1, 2012

Memories of Bhutan -dress code-

As Bhutan became popular in Japan especially this year (other than the king and princes visited Japan, can anyone tell me what made Bhutan so popular here? just out of curiosity), I'm so glad that I was able to visit there which is apparently rare to do. I even had a chance to wear Bhutanese traditional clothes for women, called Kira. When I walked around the town with normal casual clothes taking pictures with my IPod, people kind of stared at me but once I wore Kira, I totally looked like a Bhutanese girl and no one ever notice that I'm from Japan. They all first talked to me in Dzongkha, but after I kept silent and nodding, they ask my friend if I'm okay or sick. My friend and I had some fun tricking people and see their expressions. haha
Men wear robe tied with a belt, called Gho. Pretty much 95% of Bhutanese men I saw wore Gho but I heard it's not necessary but it is for public officers like my friends. I like how they are colorful and have different taste. But for shoes, I guess people stopped wearing the traditional one and now they wear black leather shoes with knee-high socks, I find it cute...reminded me of Scottish clothes.

There is an additional rule for dress code when you enter a dzong (used as city hall), or a temple. Men has to wear white sash from left shoulder to opposite hip, and women wear narrow cloth on the left shoulder, called Rachu.
Since all of my friends are guys, they didn't have Rachu, which is necessary for me to enter any dzong or temples. I understood that how serious they take about this dress code so first I told I would wait in front of the building, but they ask some lady around the temple to let me use hers for me. By borrowing Rachu many times by many girls, I got to visit many dzong and temples. People in Bhutan are shy but really nice. I could feel pro-Japanese mind everywhere in Bhutan.

What I learned:
- That I perfectly blend in with Bhutanese community in appearance!

What made me happy:
- Despite of this limited foreigners entrance, people here are very nice and warm. Just a little bit shy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment